Coping with Pressure
Sometimes it’s tough to say no. That’s why planning your choices in advance gives you more choices and more confidence to make them.
If someone pressures you to do something that's not right or good for you, you have the right to resist and say “no.” And you don’t have to give a reason unless you want to.
So why do people say “yes” when they really want to say "no"? Why is it so hard to resist the pressure?
There are lots of reasons.
You may be:
- Afraid of being rejected by others
- Want to be liked and don’t want to lose a friend
- Don’t want to be made fun of
- Don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings
- Don’t know how to get out of the situation
Sometimes resisting isn’t easy, but you can do it with practice and a little know-how. Keep trying, even if you don’t get it right at first. Make your choice and use your voice.